Do you want a change of scenery from the overly crowded places in Atlanta and the surrounding cities? Well did you know that Athens is the perfect place to bring the kids for some entertainment, good food, and fun atmosphere? Athens has a small town feel even though isn’t far from small. You can grab some ice cream, pick up lunch from many awesome restaurants, stroll through the gorgeous UGA campus, or hike some beautiful trails. My family goes into Athens often; it has become one of my favorite play-date spots because there is so much to do without all the traffic that comes with taking the kids to Atlanta, or the expensive price tag. So here is a list of some of my favorite things to do in Athens with the kids:
- Bear Hollow Zoo is a free zoo… yes I said free! It is quite small, but still offers all the excitement of seeing bears, alligators, birds, and other reptiles up close. It’s perfect for toddlers because it’s manageable for them to walk it entirely. And during the Christmas season, they have zoo lights which are so fun as well. I’d advise you check their website to make sure they are open when you want to visit. Sometimes the hours vary.
- UGA volleyball game is another cheap activity to do with the family. Tickets are usually $5 and kids are free. It’s such a fun atmosphere! If it isn’t volleyball season, check out the Gym Dawgs gymnastics team or a basketball game.
- Trail Creek Park Splash Pad is the perfect place for those hot spring or summer days. I love this park because the splash pad is huge, very clean, and fenced in so it’s easy to keep an eye on little ones. It’s cheap as well, so that’s always another plus.
- Ted’s Most Best is a pizza joint in the heart of the city. It’s amazing for kids because there is a big outdoor sand pit with toys and a large patio. Anywhere you sit on the patio will give you a good view of the sand pit so you can keep an eye on your little ones.
- Sandy Creek Park is another place to take the kids during their summer vacation. Play on the sand and get wet in a large lake that surrounds the park. It makes the perfect setting for a picnic and has a ton of bike/walking trails. There is also a nature center, which is free, that includes reptiles, fish, and amphibians. Always a hit with my 3 boys.
- State Botanical Garden of Georgia is a beautiful place to talk a walk with kids. There is a cafe on site to order lunch and refreshments. Perfect time to go is in the spring. This is another freebie!
- Insomnia Cookies. Enough said. Best cookies, hands down, and in the heart of downtown Athens.
- Washington Farms is a huge place you can take the family to pick your own strawberries in the spring and early summer. They offer hayrides and homemade ice cream. It’s become a family tradition for us. They also have a ton of activities in the fall like a pumpkin patch, petting zoo, and giant slides.
- World of Wonder is a great playground that offers a huge wooden “castle” play area. This playground is different and has everything!
Next time you want a change of scenery from the big ATL, spend a day in Athens and I promise you won’t be disappointed!