Currently, I’m a mom of two Rowdy boys, ages 4 and 6, and a sweet-sometimes-sassy three-year-old girl whose personality has really popped this past year. Despite her shining personality, I still don’t know much about raising little girls yet. I figure I’ll wing it until she’s a teenager, then seek tons of advice as to how to get through those few opinionated years.
As for my boys, I’m still no expert at mothering, but I can tell you one thing: I’m raising my boys to be Southern gentlemen. I’m not claiming they’ll be perfect little gents all the time, or even half the time, but I’m trying my darndest to make sure they are Southern boys and everything that comes along with that title.
10 Ways I’m Raising Southern Boys
- I’m raising my boys to say yes ma’am and no ma’am, as well as please and thank you.
- I’m raising my boys to love college football, good sportsmanship, and camaraderie.
- I’m raising my boys to cherish family, protect their little sister and be each other’s best friend.
- I’m raising my boys to love homemade biscuits and jelly, fresh peaches and casseroles.
- I’m raising my boys to treat others kindly by helping carry groceries, offering their seats, opening doors and pulling out chairs.
- I’m raising my boys to explore the great outdoors, have a fascination with nature and beg to play outside until the sun goes down.
- I’m raising my boys to appreciate the value of sweat, hard work and finishing what they start.
- I’m raising my boys to confidently sport seersucker, polo shirts, and boots, just like their Daddy.
- I’m raising my boys to love Georgia red clay, with no fear of getting dirty or making messes.
- I’m raising my boys to love God and attend church on Sundays.
I know that with some of these tasks, I have my work cut out for me. But there are so many benefits to a Southern upbringing that it’s worth putting in the hard work now. Because I’m praying that one day when they’re much, much older, my rowdy Southern boys will snag fine young ladies as wives who value their Southern roots and upbringing.